20.8.12

7680 stairs.

I suppose there actually have been some pretty interesting things this past week. On Tuesday President Klebingat was down with his wife for a Relief Society meeting. On Wednesday morning he invited all the missionaries here to run. (He's a marathon runner, by the way.) I'll copy what he wrote us in his weekly letter:

"The real you - your spirit or mind – is designed to have dominion over your physical body which ideally means that what the real you says and desires is what your body should help you accomplish. "Your mind is in charge; your body is the instrument of your mind" (Boyd K. Packer, 2009 October General Conference). Just as a car can still go many kilometers even after the light has come on and the fuel gauge shows empty, so you can push your spirit and your body far beyond what you think was possible. An active – not theoretical - faith in Christ combined with a healthy dose of willpower can work miracles in your life whereas "in the absence of willpower the most complete collection of virtues and talents is wholly worthless" (Aleister Crowley). 

"An impressive display of this and the fact that "great souls have wills; feeble ones have only wishes" (Chinese proverb) was observed while I was in Odessa last week with Sister Klebingat. As per tradition, I met the missionaries for an early morning run at the top of the ominous Odessa Harbor stairs, the goal being to beat the new mission record of 15 rounds, set by Elder Shurtleff. Accompanied by Elders Schultz, Michels, Christensen, Perkins, Thatcher, Detro, Mikhailovsky, Dutton, Mahoney, and Stroud I took off believing that with time and pain natural selection would take its course and decimate the group (Sister O'Neil – WAY TO GO – joined us a little later for much of the experience!). To make a long, wonderful experience short, I was proven wrong as we all stayed together finishing 20 rounds (5.6 km/3.6 mi, covering 540 m/1,771 ft of altitude, and a total of 7,680 stairs – 3,840 up and 3,840 down)."

Pretty cool experience. President and his wife also came to our District Meeting which was fun. It's always cool to spend time with them. I got another surprise call from President on Friday. He asked me to train again for my last transfer. I was really expecting that, but at the same time I've kinda gotten used to unexpected things happening. It'll be great to serve with another new missionary. Hopefully I can help him learn something, but I'm sure that his fire will help me finish this last transfer strong. My companion, Elder Schultz is moving to another city and I'll be finishing here in Odessa.

Things are going well. I love serving here. The truly is Christ's Church. I'm learning everyday.

Thanks for all the love and support,
Elder Mahoney

No comments:

Post a Comment