24.9.12

Apology

Well, I'm already coming into the final week down here in Odessa. The work rolls on. During the past week I have been able to feel the Spirit many times in different teaching situations. I can feel the power and authority of my calling. We're here to call people to repentance and it's pretty awesome to actually do that.

I'll share one lesson we've taught to several people recently. We ask people about their conversion and how they came into the Church. We ask more probing questions to learn more about all the details and their feelings. Then we read from 3 Nephi 23:7-13 when Christ was on the Americas:

7 And it came to pass that he said unto Nephi: Bring forth the record which ye have kept.

8 And when Nephi had brought forth the records, and laid them before him, he cast his eyes upon them and said:

9 Verily I say unto you, I commanded my servant Samuel, the Lamanite, that he should testify unto this people, that at the day that the Father should glorify his name in me that there were many saints who should arise from the dead, and should appear unto many, and should minister unto them. And he said unto them: Was it not so?

10 And his disciples answered him and said: Yea, Lord, Samuel did prophesy according to thy words, and they were all fulfilled.

11 And Jesus said unto them: How be it that ye have not written this thing, that many saints did arise and appear unto many and did minister unto them?

12 And it came to pass that Nephi remembered that this thing had not been written.

13 And it came to pass that Jesus commanded that it should be written; therefore it was written according as he commanded.

Then we ask them if they have written down what happened with them, their spiritual experiences. We've had some powerful experiences with it. We then sometimes read D&C 6:22-24 and talk about how it is easier to remember the answer God gives us if we have written them down. One of the first verses of scripture we have after the restoration of the Church is D&C 21:1, "Behold, there shall be a record kept among you." We need to keep a record of our own personal lives and experiences.

I wanted to apologize for not writing more in my weekly letters. We are usually in a noisy, smokey internet club with limited time and usually when I sit down at the computer my mind goes blank. Regardless of how much I've written or not written, I love my mission. I have learned a lot and met so many amazing people. It has been a huge blessing for me to serve here and invite people to come unto Christ. I know that this is His Church. He runs the show. Alone I am nothing, but with the Lord I know I can do anything.

Thank you all for the love and support. The Church is true.

Love,
Elder Mahoney

No comments:

Post a Comment